Creating a cell phone contract between you and your tween is an excellent way to teach your child about the responsibilities that come with having a cell phone. Be sure you go over every item in your contract, giving your child the opportunity to ask questions.
The cell phone contract below can get you and your child started. Use the contract as is, or edit it according to your own rules and consequences.
Your Family Contract: A Sample Contract for Parents and Tweens
This contract between [Parents' Names Go Here] and [Tween's Name Goes Here] seeks to establish family rules and consequences regarding cell phone usage.
Cell Phone: Tween Responsibilities
- I will not send threatening or mean texts to others
- I will not text or place phone calls after 9 p.m.
- I will keep my phone charged at all times
- I will not bring my cell phone to the family dinner table
- I will not go over our plan's monthly minutes or text message limits. If I do, I understand that I may be responsible for paying any additional charges or that I may lose my cell phone privileges
- I understand that I am responsible for knowing where my phone is, and for keeping it in good condition
- I understand that my cell phone may be taken away if I talk back to my parents, I fail to do my chores, or I fail to keep my grades up
- I will obey rules of etiquette regarding cell phones in public places. I will make sure my phone is turned off when I am in church, in restaurants, or quiet settings
- I will obey any rules my school has regarding cell phones, such as turning them off during class, or keeping them on vibrate while riding the school bus
- I promise I will alert my parents when I receive suspicious or alarming phone calls or text messages from people I don't know
- I will also alert my parents if I am being harassed by someone via my cell phone
- I will not use my cell phone to bully another
- I will send no more than _____ texts per day
- I understand that having a cell phone can be helpful in a emergency, but I know that I must still practice good judgment and make good choices that will keep me out of trouble or out of danger
- I will not send embarrassing photos of my family or friends to others. In addition, I will not use my phone's camera to take embarrassing photos of others
- I understand that having a cell phone is a privilege, and that if I fail to adhere to this contract, my cell phone privilege may be revoked
Cell Phone Contract: Parent Responsibilities
- I understand that I will make myself available to answer any questions my tween might have about owning a cell phone and using it responsibly
- I will support my child when he or she alerts me to an alarming message or text message that he or she has received
- I will alert my child if our cell phone plan changes and impacts the plan's minutes
- I will give my child _______ warning(s) before I take his or her cell phone away
Signed ______________________________ (Tween)
Signed ______________________________ (Parents)