Parenting Through Puberty
By Jennifer O'Donnell, About.com Guide
The Physical Changes
Growth spurts, acne, and so much more. Here's what you need to know to support your tween through this time in his life. Know what to expect when your child's body begins to change, and help your tween understand menstruation, shaving, hygiene and more.
- Signs of Puberty in Girls
- Signs of Puberty in Boys
- Boys and Voice Change
- Shaving Tips for Boys
- A Parent's Guide to Boys and Puberty
- When Development Comes Late
- Hygiene: What All Tweens Should Know
- Getting Her Period At School
- Breast Development Anxiety
- Your Tween's First Training Bra
- Girls, Shaving and Puberty
- Finding the Right Bra 101
- Menstrual Symptoms Your Tween Should Know
- Helping Ease Menstrual Pain
- What to Know About Early Puberty in Girls
- Prevent a Menstrual Emergency!
- Menstrual Q and A
The Emotional Changes
Is your tween delightful one minute, moody the next? It's exasperating to be sure, but perfectly normal for a child going through puberty. The emotional roller coaster your child is on will likely last through high school, but you can help your tween (and yourself) deal with the ups and downs of growing up if you're prepared. Here's your guide to managing the emotional changes of puberty.
- How to Manage Emotional Periods
- The Secrets to Managing a Moody Tween
- When Tweens are Angry: What You Can Do
The Social Changes
Your relationship with your tween is changing, and your tween's friendships are taking priority. Don't take it personally, it's all about establishing independence, and you're still as important as you've always been to your child. The social challenges your pubescent tween is up against present a host of changes at home and school. Here's what you should know.
- Tween Friendships: Help Your Tween Make and Keep Friends
- Tween Dating: What Parents Should Know
- Keep Your Bond with Your Tween
- Why Your Tween is Embarassed by You
- Talking to Tweens About Sex
Resources and More
Additional resources to help you navigate your tween through puberty.
- Helping Girls Track Their Periods
- Review of The Period Book
- Review of What's Happening to My Body: Book for Girls
- Review of What's Happening to My Body: Book for Boys