1. Parenting
Send to a Friend via Email

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

It's estimated that about 10 percent of tweens already have a cell phone. It wouldn't be a reach to guess that the remaining 90 percent want one. Deciding if your child needs a cell phone is only part of what you should be considering before you say yes. Taking ownership of a phone is a responsibility some tweens aren't yet ready to handle.

There are other considerations to deciding if your child is ready for a cell phone. For example, you should ask yourself if your child's school permits phones on campus, as well as if the phone would be used as a means to communicate his whereabouts to you. Before commiting to a phone, and a plan, sit down with your child and discuss strategies for keeping within the plan's limits, keeping up with his phone, and making the most of the privilege of cell phone ownership.

No comments yet. Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>
  1. About.com
  2. Parenting
  3. Tweens

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.